Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Personal Freedoms and Social Engineering Through Taxation

Personal Freedoms
If your rights stop at my nose, and my rights stop at yours, then why do we have so many "nanny laws" in the USA? I always wear my seat belt because I think it is a good idea, not because the State of California says that I must. Nonetheless, the State does say that I must. I do not ride a motorcycle, however I would prefer to decide if I need a helmet. I could go on but you get the idea. Do the state and federal legislators think I need a baby sitter? Or have they become addicted to the opiate of lobbyist dollars and have sold out my freedoms to special interest groups?

Social Engineering Through Taxation
Is it really fair for the various states and federal governments to discriminate against its citizenry? You would most likely say no. However, do you mind the obscene taxes on alcohol and tobacco? Is that not discrimination? Just by virtue of the increased taxes on these items, the governments are taking away my personal freedoms. Legislative bodies are perhaps afraid to say, "You cannot have this." but are emboldened to tax the hell out of these items. Where does the proverbial "slippery slope" begin and end here? If government really needs the money, then make street drugs legal and tax the hell out of them. Sorry, the street gangs and lobbyists would not like that idea.

If you are excited about nanny laws and social engineering through taxation; this is your time. If not, what do you plan to do about it?

1 comment:

  1. Answer is easy!

    Street alcohol and Cubans!!!!

    Great observation Ed...

    ReplyDelete